Monday, August 5, 2019

Honoring the Sacred


It is not about science versus what is sacred.
Rick Bennett MS, PhD
Applied Life Sciences, LLC
Kukuiopae, Hawai‘i
Way back in 1973, I began my graduate school education to become a scientist. By 1974 I was collecting data and analyzing it. Those were my first days being scientific. Then in 1976, the University of California awarded me its highest degree. I was but 26 years old. I had learned a new language, the language of science. Even in those formative years, my ethic directed me to use this new tool only for good.
It disturbs me no end; the hear the media and various "leaders" cast science as some exalted religion that by definition, is intrinsically right and true. They use being scientific to mean, all things scientific are inherently better than any other. This is an ignorant abuse of the term.
Science is not a religion, a philosophy, or a set of fixed ideologies. Science is a method to investigate the natural world systematically. Like any other tool in the hands of people, it is subject to benign misinterpretation and vulnerable to selfish abuse and human atrocities. In modern history, we have witnessed science used for horrific purposes. One most notable abuse occurred on Moloka‘i at Kalaupapa. The medical doctor M. Mouritz intentionally infected local people with the leprosy agent to study the disease.[1] Similarly, African American men were purposefully infected with Syphilis in 1932 and followed up until 1972, when a newspaper story exposed the doctors.[2] The US military and the CIA conducted many experiments on humans without regard for their rights or well-being. The US military sprayed bacteria on San Francisco and other cities as a bio-weapons test in 1950. They believed bacteria were harmless; however, some people got serious infections and died.[3] The military conducted this experiment in the name of science. The list of horrific experiments could go on and on. Slightly less lethal but certainly not benign is the significant number of scientific studies, conducted on new drugs. The data was falsified to make the drugs appear safe and effective when they were not.[4] Let's suffice it to say science is a double-edged sword, and its effects are all determined by the person wielding it.
As a teenager, I had the great fortune for the opportunity to travel into many wilderness areas of California. I vividly recall standing at the base of Mt. Whitney as the setting sun cast ethereal shadows across its face. I felt in the presence of the Creator.
My family spent many weekends in the deserts in the south of California. There were times when the vast majesty of a verdant wildflower-filled valley or the pastel hues of the Chocolate Mountains would evoke a sense of awe and great reverence. We were not a religious family, but these experiences taught me the word sacred. That understanding has guided me as a person and a scientist all my life. It has evoked great respect and compassion for beliefs of indigenous peoples of the world. Not too many years ago, a tribal elder took me aside and told me; it is time native people teach the westerners how to live in the world. I told him given the wrath we have wrought on the planet; we do need to learn.
From time to time, believing in the sacred put me at odds with my scientist friends. I recall a rousing conversation I had with an overzealous scientist colleague. I was attempting to explain my belief in nature as a sacred thing. He retorted, there is no such attribute to nature. It cannot be measured; therefore, it does not exist. This belief about measuring among scientists is not unique. I felt unable to defend my belief, and then it hit me. I retorted I am sure you love your wife and family. Of course, he snapped. Well then, I said, how do you measure love?
The first time I visited Mauna Kea, I was awestruck, just like in my youth. It is a feeling, a belief that cannot fully be explained and certainly not measurable. The sunset photo I have reminds me of that moment every day. Thus, it brings me great sadness to see and hear people juxtapose what is sacred against what is science. The implication is one wrong, and one is right. The bias is both disrespectful of the Hawaiian people and purposeful manipulation of what science means. It is a false dichotomy.
For years I have searched for information about natural places in the Western World we westerners regard as sacred. To date, I have found only one. It is a forest in the Midwest where the founder of the Mormon Church received a revelation. Yes, there are a significant number of churches and other human-made religious icons revered as sacred. I can find no valley, river, or mountain in the North or South America or Europe regarded by the westerners as sacred.
In Native America from Alaska to the tip of South America, there are thousands of natural places regarded as sacred by the indigenous peoples. From the first days of colonial beginnings, indigenous peoples and their sacred lands were denigrated, rejected, and destroyed by the people and governments of the colonies. In effect, they said, my culture is right; yours is primitive, unholy, and wrong.
Japan, in many respects, is more technologically advanced than the USA and yet their Shinto traditions are revered. The mere mention of building a massive telescope on top of Mt. Fuji is unfathomable. Sacred places and technology have their appropriate places. They have a cultural tradition ethic not commonly found in Western Society.
My Hawaiian Sister Puna Kihoi has taught me the meaning of Kapu Aloha; to act only from love, kindness, and empathy. This is the ethic of the protectors, the Kia‘i and is amazingly noble given the history of sedition toward this sovereign nation.  However, I remain somewhat wary of the telescope’s leaders. They declare unequivocally that there is no military connection to the project.  During my research on the beginnings of the telescope proposal, it is troubling to find the US Department of Defense funds the Lincoln Laboratory. The lab is an exclusive military R and D facility at MIT. Our tax money intended for space security and warfare, funds some of the critical work on the "adapted optics" imaging systems for the TMT.[5] Moreover, Lincoln Labs is collaborating with the scientists at Keck. There is a military connection on the Mauna. Detailed information is inaccessible and probably classified. We can only hope that "national security" will not be used as an excuse to lock Mauna Kea away.
Many people, including our Mayor, are shocked to learn as a scientist I do not support the TMT. People express surprise when I recognize the sacredness of Mauna Kea and do not approve of any development on the mountain. They seem to be saying I cannot be a scientist and believe in sacred lands too.  Yes, I find astronomy and astrophysics an interesting curiosity. Rather we should spend the money on understanding our planet, one that is very sick and needs much restoration from the Western ethic and deeds of exploitation.
Hawaii is my home; Hawaiian is my adopted culture. I have the honor to be hānai (adopted).  I have three sisters, that are friends, and mentors.  They enrich my understanding of what is sacred. In my scientist being, there is much room and Aloha that honors, respects, and cherishes what is sacred and pono.
For me, it is not about a big telescope versus the Hawaiians. It is about a centuries-old Western Culture that is too narcissistic and parochial to open its heart and mind to people other than themselves. Someday they will learn Kapu Aloha.
I stand with my brothers and sisters. Onipa‘a!


References
[1] HUMAN INOCULATION EXPERIMENTS IN HAWAII INCLUDING NOTES ON THOSE OF ARNING AND OF FITCH M. Mouritz, Honolulu Star Bulletin Press 1916. http://ila.ilsl.br/pdfs/v19n2a11.pdf
[2] Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment https://www.cdc.gov/tuskegee/timeline.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment

  A Prayer for Our Veterans Unlike Trump,  I have great empathy and compassion for the unselfish men and women that have volunteered for the...